Saturday 7 December 2013

Pain is so close to more pain (and this week's progress)

The pain

I think I might have over done it last weekend. As we were at the coast visiting the in-laws, we made the most of the change of scenery and the sea air and did jogging sessions on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, back at home, we did an early morning jog (Day 1 of week 4 of the couch to 5K). I barely got started and my calf was aching. After the first three minute session it was starting to hurt and during the five minute session it got worse. I ended up walking most of the rest of the way.

I think 3 days with no rest days was too much. I was in pain all of Monday, and it was still aching on Tuesday.

By Wednesday morning it was just a dull pain so I went for a jog. Did the 3 mins, the 5 mins, the 3 mins and about 4 minutes of the final 5 before I had to stop. My calf was very painful all of Wednesday and into Thursday. So on Friday morning I decided not to do the C25K plan, but did an interval training session. 10 times 1 minutes jogs with alternate 60 and 90 seconds rests. I managed it, but the calf started to hurt during the 8th jogging time. As soon as I got back home I applied ice and that seemed to relive the pain. However it was stiff and painful of through the day.

I've just been out and walked about a mile and a half delivering Christmas Cards for our Church. The calf is very stiff and has a dull ache, but not too bad. I have to go out again tomorrow to deliver a few more - probably only half a mile though.

I'm hoping that with 2 days of rest, I will be fighting fit for Monday mornings jog. I intend to do week 4 of the C25K program again this week, to become comfortable with it before moving on.


196 days to go...

According to the widget on my phone there are 196 days until the big day. Yikes, it only seems a few days since I wrote the 222 days to go post. Where did those 26 days go?

In terms of jogging progress, see above. Not good, but hopefully I can make progress this week if I do not over do it.

No real walking this week. Hoping that the rest will heal my calf. If all goes to plan, and no further injuries occur, I aim to go for a long walk next weekend.

In terms of weight, I weighed in at 78kg yesterday - the lowest I've been for a very long time - so feeling very pleased.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment