Saturday 16 November 2013

Losing weight in more ways than one

If you have read my other posts you will know that me and my daughter are going to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenge on June 21st 2014, and that we attempted and failed, quite miserably, this year (2013). To ensure we have success next year we (or more accurately, ME) are analyzing what we did (or did not do) this year, and making corrections for this year.

One thing that I have identified is that we were both carry too much weight - in my case my own weight as well as what was in the backpack!



Backpacks

Firstly the backpacks. We each had:
  • 4 liters of liquid - 4 kg
  • 3 tubs of cooked pasta - say 1 kg
  • 2 apples and 2 bananas - say 400 g
  • snacks - say 150 g
  • Phone, spare phone, batteries, first aid, spare socks, map, route books  etc - say 400 g 
So about 6 kg each

When we realised that we were going to have to give up after Pen-y-gent, we empties most of the water, and disposed of the pasta (but obviously kept all of the empty containers).

I need to do some research about how much water / food will be needed, and ensure we pack just enough this time around. But I am sure I can reduce the weight by 2 kgs.

Body weight

I cannot remember my exact weight last summer, but I was in the region of 82 kgs, about 3 kgs into the overweight section of the BMI chart.

According to BMI my ideal weight is about 69 kg, which does seem a little light. I'm aiming on getting sub 75 kg by early next year, and maintaining it.


If I can loses 8 kgs of my own weight, and 2 kgs from the back pack, I will be 10kg lighter - about 12% or one-eighth!

As mentioned at the top, losing weight is just one elements of the many improvements we are going to make. Look at further posts for more details.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment