Sunday 10 November 2013

Who can lend me some hills?

There are quite a few topics that I want to write about here, but do not want to overload the blog in the first week and have nothing to say later. But to get us started...

My major concern at the moment is that I live in the Fens. Now before any fellow Fen-men read this and think I don't like the area, please continue to read. There is nothing wrong with the Fens, in fact it is a really nice place. And what's more, I've not met anyone with webbed fingers in the 10 plus years I've lived in the area. (Legend/rumour/hearsay has it that the people of the Fens were incestuous and there was a lot of inbreeding, which apparently causes webbed feet and fingers??)

No, the only problem with the Fens is that the area is so flat. I meany really, really flat. So flat, that if giant aliens discovered Earth, they would use the Fens as a snooker table. 

We are training for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenge. The name sort of implies that there are some hills, maybe even 3 of them. But a little research will tell you that these hills are big hills. Very, very big hills. In fact in giant aliens discovered Earth, they would consider them big hills.

And for those of you who demand detail, I have listed the height of the 3 peaks below.

Pen-y-gent - 2,227 ft or 694 m
Whernside - 2,414 ft or 736 m
Ingleborough - 2372 ft or 723 m

And for those that don't like detail

Pen-y-gent - smallest of the big hills
Whernside - tallest of the big hills
Ingleborough - middle of the big hills

And for those that like imagery

Pen-y-gent - Baby giant bear
Whernside - Daddy giant bear
Ingleborough - Mummy giant bear

So if you happen to have a few big hills kicking around your back garden, please can you lend them to me until next June. I promise to look after them and return them in only slightly worn condition.

Seriously though, (is it too late to get serious? Have all the serious readers given up and clicked on 'next blog'?), if you have any techniques that will help train / build correct muscles / improve stamina required for hill walking whilst training in a flat location, I would really appreciate the advice.

223 Days to go...
It is still 'early' days' in the preparation for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge, but already getting into the swing of doing regular activity.

Yesterday evening we did week 2, day 1 of the Couch to 5K plan - Route here

And this morning I got up and did a 3 mile walk - Route here

That's all for now

M

No comments:

Post a Comment